In a snapshot review of 15 Canadian university and college policies easily accessible online, we found:
- 3 have a sexual assault-specific policy and include a comprehensive definition of sexual assault
- 7 address conflict of interest for those tasked with following up on a report of sexual assault
- 2 outline complainant rights in the complaint reporting and follow-up process
- 10 say a complainant has the right to be informed of the result of an investigation, hearing or disciplinary process
What will take us down the path toward safer campuses?
1. A full review of policies and practices across institutions.
2. An examination of policy implementation – how are students really being impacted?
3. Implementation of standards for campus sexual assault policies across Canada.
Read the full discussion paper.