To celebrate Valentine’s season is to celebrate consent!
We’re launching the Consent 2B My Valentine Campaign to encourage safe and healthy relationships. Special occasions like Valentine’s Day can be fun, but they can also create pressures and expectations that undermine personal safety and make coercive, violent behaviour seem normal.
Let’s reinforce the message this year and help build a culture of consent: “Will you consent to be my Valentine?”
Consent to physical intimacy of any kind should be enthusiastic and freely given, never based on manipulation or force. Consenting partners should always check in with each other, communicating likes, dislikes, comfort levels, concerns, and desires to create an equal and fun experience.
Join, follow, and share today!
1. Join our Safety Information System (#SISTO) movement to get sexual violence-related notifications, news, and prevention information to your phone and email!
2. Follow @METRACorg on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and share #C2BMV messages below.
Social-media friendly images (right-click to save and share by Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and more):
Tweetables (copy and paste text):
- Flowers and candy are lovely but they’re not guarantees … #C2BMV
- If your partner is forced, coerced, or unwilling, it’s sexual assault. #C2BMV
- Dinner doesn’t mean you’re owed anything. Well, maybe just “goodnight.” #C2BMV
- February 14 is a day for lovers and allies against sexual violence. #C2BMV
- Caring about with what your partner likes and wants will make your Valentine’s Day. #C2BMV
- I choo-choo-choose a culture of consent. #C2BMV
- Consent on Valentine’s Day is sexy. #C2BMV
e-Card images (right-click and save to share by email):
Youth Surviving and Thriving: Many Paths to Healing downloadable zine
Other great campaigns:
- Draw-The-Line.ca: engaging Ontarians in a dialogue about sexual violence
- #HealthyLove Movement: on healthy relationships
- One Billion Rising: mass action to end violence against women
- University of Alberta’s Student’s Union Consent Campaign
- We Give Consent: student campaign